Our story starts way back in 1998.
The mother school of St. Peter’s at Colombo 4 (Wellawatta) formerly a branch school of St. Joseph’s College, was blessed and inaugurated on the 18 th January 1922. The blessing took place at 3:15 p.m. by His Grace the Arch Bishop and the new School was formally declared opened at 4:00 p.m. by Mr. Evans, Acting Director of Education. This was during the regime of the British prior to our independence. The founder was Rev. Fr. M.J. Le Goc, Rector of St. Joseph’s College.
On the 2 nd April 1927, by a Government gazette notification the name of St. Joseph’s college, Colombo South, was changed to St. Peter’s College, Wellawatta and was registered as a separate secondary School by Mr. L. Macrea the Director of Education. This happened during the
administration of the first Rector of this Institution, Rev. Fr. Nicholas Perera. Under the direction of the far-sighted past Rectors and the versatile present Rector, many have labored hard to shape St. Peter’s in to the “Rock” that it is today.
It has always been a deep rooted idea of His Lordship Rt. Rev. Dr. Oswald Gomis the then auxiliary Bishop of Colombo, to start a leading School for the benefit of the Catholic children of Gampaha District. Then the Rector, Rev. Fr. Joe. E. Wickramasinghe, took a keen interest in this matter and suggested the opening up of a branch school of St. Peter’s College at Gampaha that would consist classes from Year 6 upwards.
With a lot of vim and vigour this Branch Scool of St. Peter’s College, Colombo 04, was inaugurated by His Lordship Rt. Rev. Dr. Oswald Gomis, on the 2 nd February 1998, as the first Branch School in Sri Lanka, after the School Take Over Act. No. 8 of 1961. After a special
Holy Mass the blessing took place at 10.15 a.m. 47 Students were admitted to year 6S 7 on the inaugural day.
St. Peter’s College, Udugampola Branch
Rt. Rev. Dr. Oswald Gomis, the Archbishop of Colombo, initiated opening Branch Schools of the Catholic Colleges in Colombo and rural areas. St. Peter’s College Branch School at Gampaha was the first of 10 branches opened as of 2013. Udugampola Branch School was opened on 24 September 2005 by Archbishop Gomis, and Fr. Siri Cooray was appointed as the Director of the Branch Schools of both Gampaha and Udugampola in January 2007. Fr. Suranga Fonseka became Assistant Priest to the school in January 2008.
New Chapel at St. Peter’s College Branch, Udugampola was blessed and dedicated by Archbishop Gomis on 21 st October on the occasion of the 4th Anniversary of the Branch School.